Working out has never been more exciting. There is something for everyone- from spin to yoga to Tabata, and if we can say there is one silver lining from what we have all been through- the at-home workout options are Off. The. Charts! There is content on every form of social media that is fun, challenging, and inspiring.
So, let’s check out what 2022 has to offer. Maybe your favorite workout is on the list, and maybe you discover something new. Whether you are in a big city with the coolest, most current options available or YouTube is your workout go-to, we’ve got options for everyone.
The goal: Get fit, and have fun!
- Let’s Dance
- We always look to our favorite’s in the wellness world to see what works for them. Up first- Dance! Gwyneth Paltrow introduced us to the idea of dancing our way to fitness over 10 years ago! I know what you’re thinking, “a dancing workout? Really?”- but, it’s taken the world by storm! Find some fun trending dance workouts on YouTube, you’re sure to break a sweat. Our favorite right now is Kukuwa Fitness- it’s the best mood-boosting, ray of sunshine workout to get your heart pumping and put a smile on your face.
- Need an extra push to get moving? Try out the Tracy Anderson Method- A GP favorite! Gwyneth loves using the Tracy Anderson Method to guide her as she goes. Anderson is a lifestyle guru, and her workouts GET RESULTS. She focuses on muscular structure classes, which target smaller muscle groups, body movement sequences, and dance. The key is consistency. If you can’t make it to her studios in Manhattan, the Hamptons, Los Angeles, London, and Madrid, the best part is that there is a membership to her streaming platform for $90 a month.
- Have you got a tween or teen in your life? Chances are you’ve seen them Tik-Toking around the house. (Actually, my mom-friends are now on TikTok as much as the kids!) Get in on the action. According to personal trainer Chad Weiss, “the TikTok challenges have people moving around in a way that can burn 400-600 calories.” And it’s not just good for you physically- dancing is excellent for mental health because you can’t dance with a frown on your face!
Oh, and there’s nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned dance party- crank up the music and just dance. It’s the best combination of fun, fitness and stress relief!
If arch pain keeps you from dancing, try Copper Fit Arch Relief Plus, it’s an adjustable compression band designed with built-in adaptive arch support that instantly helps relieve foot stress and strain associated with Plantar Fasciitis, Fallen Arches, Flat Feet, and more- and you can dance barefoot all you want, you can wear them with shoes or without.
- Get on a Bike
This isn’t your good old stationary bike from the 80s. Chances are you are into spin, or it’s a “hard pass!” If you are somewhere in the middle- spin-curious? We’re going to show you how to give it a try! Why? It’s a great workout:
- Easy on the joints
- Calorie torcher
- Improves strength and builds muscle strength
- Strengthens the core
- Promotes a healthy heart
- Find a local spin class. Your local YMCA is a great place to start. They offer spin across the nation in a more relaxed environment. YMCA classes are cost-effective and budget friendly.
- Are you more serious about biking? Try the Cadillac of at-home bike riding, Peloton. There is a reason there are 1.4 million users. And hey, if you don’t like it, you have 30 days from your delivery date to receive a free pickup and full refund.
- Another option- get outside and go for a bike ride! It’s a great workout that is also scenic and relaxing. There are many ways to track your ride. Try using any of these apps on your phone: Strava, Zwift, Map My Ride GPS Cycling & Route Tracker, Google Maps, Cyclemeter GPS. Challenge yourself to go a little farther each day! Don’t have a bike? Try spinlister.com to find a bike rental locally or google local rentals.
One thing we can guarantee: get on a bike, and you’ll feel like a kid again!
- Yoga- always in style
Yoga is a powerful workout with a strong mind-body connection. You don’t have to do the handstand scorpion pose to get yoga's relaxing, toning, and strengthening benefits. Just a few simple yoga moves a day have tremendous benefits. To get inspired, slip on some Copper Fit Women’s Full-Length Everyday Leggings for super shaping leggings that flatter but also feel like a second skin. Plus, the copper infused fabric is odor reducing, making them truly all-day yoga pants.
Yoga is everywhere and anywhere:
- Stay local- Local stores have free lessons, and community centers offer yoga. Classes are at most gyms and national studios like Core Power Yoga.
- Online yoga is just about as good as in-studio. Try Yoga with Adriene on YouTube- she got me through the pandemic! Start her 30 Day Yoga Journey now. It’s an “invitation to move better, feel better, and improve brain and body function significantly.” Best of all- it’s free!
- Are you a more advanced yogi? Try hot yoga! Hot yoga is best described as “vigorous” and is not for the beginner. Demanding poses and high heat make for an intense workout.
- Regardless of which type of yoga is more your style, make sure you have fun! Make working out fun and social- you’ll do it more! So far this year I have done, Goat Yoga- (yep, it’s a thing!) and my personal favorite, Yacht Yoga- finishing with a glass of wine.
- Check out Tabata & High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
There are different names for high-intensity interval training—short bursts of intense work, then rest intervals. The huge benefit of HIIT workouts is that you quickly get the max benefits of a cardio and strength workout. Not much time is needed to CRUSH your fitness goals.
- A HIIT workout can involve just about anything from bodyweight exercises to a stationary bike, a treadmill, a rower, and more. You can use a kettlebell, jump rope, dumbbells, whatever you prefer. Orangetheory, F45, and other fitness studios are great options if you prefer the motivation of a trainer. You move around the room to different stations, covering strength and cardio with an instructor cheering you on.
- Tabata training is pretty much HIIT on steroids- more intense intervals with shorter breaks. A great option for anyone looking to up their HIIT game!
- If studio workouts aren’t a fit for you, you can do HIIT workouts on a treadmill or outside- sprint for 1 minute, walk for 30 seconds, and repeat for ten rounds. You can set up your workout with some bodyweight exercises (lunges, jumping jacks), a jump rope, and sprints. The possibilities are endless! YouTube has some great Tabata & HIIT videos to try too. No excuses!
- Rowing is having a moment, and it is probably here to stay
The biggest surprise about rowing: it is truly a FULL body workout and is one of the toughest but more efficient exercises you can do. Pushing from your legs, using your core, and of course, your arms and back. It’s a slam-dunk, full-body toning and strengthening workout. At the same time, it’s low impact and great for all fitness levels.
- If you’ve tried one of the big studios like Scull House Studio or Orangetheory, you’ve had a great introduction to rowing. The bonus of taking a class with a rower- having a professional check your form.
- Checking out fitness classes is great BUT- believe it or not, you can row at home with minimal equipment! Just buy a simple $10 resistance band and look up proper form on YouTube. You have a rower ready to go using your feet to stabilize the band.
- At-home options also include the Hydroflow- like Peloton, you can return the rower for any reason in new and unused condition with no shipping charges within 30 days of receipt of shipment.
- And the best option if you are lucky enough (maybe your next vacation), get on a lake! Kayaking is scenic and soothing - and a great workout to boot!
Let’s wrap this up with the always and forever best workout that you can do just about anywhere: walking. It’s always trending. It’s free and on your own time. It relaxes your mind and soothes your soul, all while toning your body and making your heart pump! You can enjoy time alone with your thoughts or catch up with a friend.
Be prepared with supportive shoes and don’t forget to grab your Copper Fit Energy Performance Ankle Socks for extra cushion and arch support. They provide plush comfort when walking around the block or up a mountain.
Whatever you choose, get out there and get moving. Copper Fit is here to support you every step of the way!